2016/03/13

Wine in a box

I'm not a wine expert, but I am used to wine in bottles and that's what I mainly saw in grocery stores around here as well. But there's another way to store wine: the black box. So far, I have encountered the black box in lectures, when there's some differential equation and you don't know the solution, so people guess / pull the solution out of a black box and suddenly it's working out. Or you do some mathematical tricks (alternatively called the "..."-operator) and you arrive at your solution which can be abbreviated with a black box. But I am not too confident with those kind of operations. 



Thus, black boxes also pour out wine (remembering in vino veritas - and you also get the solution to your maths problem ;)). A similar apparatus can be used for coffee. I am just not convinced if that's good for the product in there. But it's probably safer than carrying a glass bottle around.

I should also mention that it's illegal in 26 states to "consume/possess alcohol in public", i.e. on sidewalks, in parks etc., but in restaurants it's okay. Well you're allowed to possess it, but cover it in some way. Therefore, brown bags became kind of famous for storing alcohol. I would suspect, that it's also a bit easier, less fragile and more practical to wrap a box than a bottle...